Vice President For Student Affairs Merit Scholarship
Established by staff members within the Division of Student Affairs. This scholarship is awarded to a continuing student who has made a significant contribution to the quality of student life on campus by demonstration of leadership and participation in student life programs and activities. Award will be split evenly between the fall and spring semesters. Funding is based on availability.
- awarded to a matriculated sophomore, junior, senior or graduate level student in good academic standing at SUNY Cortland
- has a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average
- has demonstrated leadership and made contributions to student life
- is in good social standing (good social standing is defined as not having a sanction higher than a reprimand for a minimum of two semesters prior to the date of the application)
- enrolled full-time (at least 12 credit hours each fall and spring semester)
- student must have at least one full academic year remaining at the start of the fall semester of award year
- Three letters of recommendation from SUNY Cortland faculty (one may be from a professional staff member)
- This scholarship is a one-time award and is non-renewable
Scholarship funding is determined by the Cortland College Foundation. Scholarship amounts and availability are subject to change.
- Supplemental Questions
- Are you in good social standing?
- Please include your current resume for review.
- Write an essay highlighting your significant contributions to the quality of student life and demonstration of participation and/or leadership in student life at SUNY Cortland.
- Reference Request (3)
- Please list the name and email address of the individual serving as your second reference.
- Please list the name and email address of the individual serving as your third reference.
- You are required to provide letter(s) of recommendation for this scholarship application. Be sure to read the scholarship information regarding the required reference person qualifications (i.e. faculty, staff or other). Then carefully add the Name and Email Address of your first reference provider below (verify the email address prior to submitting). The person you list will receive an email from SUNY Cortland. The email will ask them to log into our system and complete the reference questionnaire, composed of four questions. *PLEASE contact your reference and make them aware they will receive an email request and which scholarship you are applying for. If they do not receive a request in their regular email, have them to check their spam mailbox. *If you are applying for more than one scholarship that requires a reference and it makes sense to ask the same person to complete a recommendation on your behalf, please let them know they may receive multiple requests and will need to respond to each.