Father Edward J. O'Heron Scholarship
Established by the Newman Foundation Board to benefit academically promising English majors who exemplify Father O’Heron’s commitment to others. The purpose of this fund is to honor the 38-year legacy of Father O’Heron as Catholic chaplain of SUNY Cortland, his commitment to students and his love of literature. Award will be split evenly between the fall and spring semesters. Funding is based on availability.
- awarded to a matriculated junior, senior or graduate level student in good academic standing at SUNY Cortland
- majoring in an English department curriculum
- has a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average
- Intellectual promise as an English teacher or writer also considered.
- enrolled full-time (at least 12 credit hours each fall and spring semester)
- student must have at least one full academic year remaining at the start of the fall semester of award year
- given to students who demonstrate qualities of caring, community service and helping others as demonstrated by the life of Father O’Heron.
- This scholarship is a one-time award and is non-renewable.
This scholarship is recognized at Honors Convocation in April
Scholarship funding is determined by the Cortland College Foundation. Scholarship amounts and availability are subject to change.